Thursday 29 April 2010

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland


SPOILER ALLERT!

This must be the film I must waited in years. Since I heard of it I've been waiting. I waited and waited and I got disappointed. The movie is way below my expectations and as a friend of mine said, Marylin Manson's POV of Lewis Carrow's most famous story must be more interesting than Tim Burton's. 

Well, if you expect to see a film as faithful to the book as the Walt Disney one you shouldn't waste your money watching it. I alredy knew this and I didn't mind at all, I thought that it would be nice. Here's the plot: Alice is a girl who likes to wonder and lose herself in her thoughts. She doesn't like to wear corsets and stockings and doesn't care for what is considered proper. She's about to be proposed by an awful lord and she's surrounded by people from a decadent aristocracy. Her lorde proposes and she asks for a time to think and start running after a white rabbit and she eventually falls in the rabbit whole and gets in the Underland . (not Wonderland!) In the Underland  the White Queen (Anne Hathaway) lost her crown to her despotic sister, the Red Queen (Helena Boham Carter) and Alice (who alredy has been to the Underland) is the champion who will, according to the oracle, defeat the Red Queen's beast and allow the people to rise against the evil queen and bring the White Queen back to power. Alice is back to the Underland and doesn't remember ever being there and everyone thinks she's the wrong Alice but she sees very close how awful is the Red Queen and decides to help the Underland resistance.

The movie is boring. You see, I went in the last session, at 22:20 and I was very tired after a long day at work but if the movie is good this isn't normally a problem. But the thing was so boring that I spent most of the time trying not to fall asleep and I must say I didn't succeed. I slept about 5 minutes during the final battle! Johnny Depp's acting is blend and everyone in Underland has an odd Russian accent. The 3D isn't that nice but I must say that my spot in the room didn't help, I was too near to the screen 'cause I couldn't find a better spot. I thought that The Cartepillar would have Alan Rickman's features but it only had his voice but I, as any person who was Pollyanna Syndrime, found the bright side of the film. 

The Cheshire cat is nice, I liked it. The make up was great and Alice's dresses were really beautiful. But the only acting that I found really nice was Anne Hathaway's. The White Queen is like Jack Sparrow is skirts, very funny. And the most "interesting" (but cliché) thing was that every character in Underland was like a character in Alice's real life. What made the whole thing seem more like a dream. I waited too much from this film though, and I'm disappointed.




3 comentários:

Mira said...

Sorry to hear the movie sucked. I wasn't really excited about it, all I wanted to see Johnny as a Mad Hatter. Then again, I do believe Burton and Depp got a bit tired of each other and they should seek new coworkers. It's becoming formulaic. I like Johnny Depp but after Pirates of the Caribbean madness he just stopped trying. And I think Barton lost his inspiration on Depp, so maybe they should take a pause of each other.

Can you give me more movie spoilers? To decide whether to... ummm, get the movie or not.

Nana Noleto said...

Mainly, it's all in the post. There's nothing else. Alice follows the rabbit, fall in the hole, gets in the underland, think she's not the right Alice, everybody thinks that, they explain the impotance of the "Frabulous" day to her, she still thinks she's not the one, the hater takes her to see the white queen but he is kidnapped by the Red Queen's knight and NOW Alice starts to believe that she's the one and decides to save the hater. This is when something starts to happen in the movie.

I don't know, so many people liked the movie, maybe it's just me. The movie isn't bad it's just not what I expected. Depp as the hater is, interesting, tops. Something is missing.

Mira said...

Well, as much as I love Johnny Depp, his "weirder than weird" characters are getting a bit old. Especially if they are directed by Burton. Like I said, they need a break from each other, and Johnny should choose more dramatic ("serious") roles.

The same could be said about Helena Bonahm Carter. She is an amazing and talented actress, but Burton doesn't know what to do with her either.

All in all, I wasn't overly excited about "Alice", and that's why I'm not disappointed with the bad reviews (not just yours, many people said it sucked). But it's a shame, because it could have been an amazing movie. I guess they all need a break from each other.