Monday 27 September 2010

I am plus size

I went out with my mother on the other day, looking for a dress for my Graduation Ceremony. And it was like hell! I wear, in American size, around 12/14 and unfortunately that is now considered fat. I'm not saying that I'm thin, because I am not, but I'm not that fat eighter. I was feeling like crap in the end of the day because none of the almost 10 dresses I tried looked nice. Just to tell the end of the story, I went to a really good shop, one that make good clothes I end up paying a lot more than I should but I found a dress that fitted me and that made me feel good in it. But I kept myself thinking about this subject, again: why should we all be skinny?

I'm not a person that can complain about my body (or my health) simply because my body is what it is because I do nothing to change it. I don't excercise, I drink loads of coke, I eat fried meals, I eat way too much because I love eating. If you ask me if I prefer to spend my hard earned money in a gym or eating good food I would ALWAYS say food. But I was a size 6 once and I wasn't any healthier. The health speech  is the biggest lie ever told and it makes us feel even worse, extra guilt. ("I'm a fat, ugly and unhealthy. I'll die in a couple of years") But I have seen people who ate nicely and excercised but never lost a single pound! And I have seen top model sized people who had all those medical conditions that are common to fat people. 

Health (and knowledge) is the greatest commoditie a human being can have. It's important to take care of our body (and mind!!) but that does not mean we have to squeal ourselves to fit a standart that's not really ours. Most of fat people are indeed unhealthy but some people are fluffy and very healthy, and you can't imagine how hard and how much prejudice fluffy/fat people suffer. 

I'm trying the happiness standart. Be happy, search happiness, look for happiness. 

2 comentários:

Mira said...

Fist of all, sorry for my late reply. I've been busy for the past couple of weeks, and only now I realized I haven't answered your last email! *embarrassed*

You are right, people are obsessed with being thin. As if it's rude to be plus size- whatever that means. Remember, not that long time ago, USA size 12 was considered the best. Curvy women were considered the sexiest and those sized 6, 8 etc. were seen as skinny and ugly. (I'm not saying these women SHOULD be seen as ugly, but it's evident beauty ideals change fast).

I am size 42, and I think it's 10 in the US. It is considered plus size in my country (people here are extremely obsessed with being thin).

And not to mention women are under heavier pressure when it comes to this. I'm not saying chubby guys are not ridiculed, but the pressure is on women.

PS-I don't really like to eat much, but I hate gym. Oh, and yes, I like coke.

Nana Noleto said...

I think the getting thinner obsession is generalized these days. That's bad.

I guess people forget that being sexy has nothing to do with being skinny (there's nothing less sexy that a bunch of bones and skin, so my bf and male friends say), it's a state of mind. America's biggest sex symbol, Marylin Monroe used to wear 10/12.

I wear 42/44 and I'm not sexy. LOL