Monday 4 January 2010

Nana's fave movies of the decade

First of all, I want to make clear that I am no movie critic, I'm no expert, I'm just a cinema lover. This is MY 10 favorite movies from 1999 to 2009. Writing this list wasn't easy, I would say that it was almost painful because of the feeling of "not being fair". I hope you'll enjoy.


10. The Departed (2006)
Director: Martin Scorcese 
Funny, brutal, tense and surprising. This one goes to the my fave mob movies shelf. 


9. The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King (2003)
Director: Peter Jackson
This movie is just AWESOME! I still can remember the feeling while watching it in the cinema 6 years ago. It's my fave from the ring trilogy. 


8. Irréversible (2002)
Director: Gaspar Noé
One of my best friends is a huge Monica Bellucci fan and also crazy about this movie, so he talked me into watching it. It's shocking, disgusting and brutal. But it gets more brutal as you see how much you are used to brutality and violence. Then you get to the conclusion: "Le temps détruit tout"


7. The Dark Knight (2008)
Director: Chris Nolan
I'll kick your ass if you say that this movie is in this list because of Gary Oldman. (Of course I wanted to leave the theatre when I thought that Gordon was dead. Just kidding) This movie is intense and dark. All cast was impecable, and the movie is just great, so it deserves a spot on this list. 


6. Gladiator (2000)
Director:Ridley Scott
As a historian I shouldn't like this movie that much, except for the great battle scene in the begining. But the plot is so envolving, the photography and the costumes are so beautiful and the soundtrack is absolutely Hanz Zimmer's master piece (I love all his soundtracks) that I couldn't left this film behind. 


5. There will be blood (2007) 
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson 
The story of a true born "self made man". Daniel Day-Lewis acting and the "almost exorcism" scene made the movie for me.



4. Into the Wild (2007)
Director: Sean Penn 
As far as I'm concearned, every 21 year old young person that is feeling lost somehow wants to do something like what "Alexander Supertramp"did. This road-movie tells Christopher McCandless's trip to find himself and this is THE best road movie I have EVER watched. Breathtaking. And I didn't talk about Eddie Vedder's work in the soundtrack here, which is brilliant.


3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) 
Director: David Fincher 
Never before did I see a whole movie theatre standing up to applaud a movie, yes a movie. This story is beyond words but if I had to choose one to describe, it would be curious. 


2. Once (2006) 
Director: John Carney
This movie proves that you can make a great movie with little money. This is about two people that meet each other through music and then find themselves. When it comes to the "unfufilled love" I believe that it's even better than "Lost in Translation". All songs were written and recorded by the lead actors Márketa Irglova and Glen Hansard. Amazing. 


1. American Beauty (1999)
Director: Sam Mendes
The Burnham's are a perfect family. They have a job, a house, a teenage daughter and... nothing happens. They reached the "American Dream" but they feel empty and unhappy. One day Lester decides to change, and this will lead to his death. (I'm not spoiling it, if you haven't watched it, I'm not telling you the end) This movie was one of the most surprising  movies that I have ever watched and it's a true slap on America's face. 


Now... the 5 WORST movies of the decade! 

5. Scary/Superhero/Epic/ Disaster Movie (They have been annoying us for the whole decade)

Any of these series should be burned and wiped out of earth. 

4. I Could Never Be Your Woman (2007)

It was THE worst romantic comedy I have ever watched. It has no plot, I mean, the things just go happening and happening. It's not funny and Michelle Pfeiffer is a pain in the ass here.


3. The Unborn (2009)
Gary Oldman should forgive me but even he could save this movie. It's so boring that couldn't even make me laugh.

2. Little One (2006)
I simply hate those american comedies. They are awful, but this one is something... worse. CRAP!

1. Twilight (2008)
Vampires that sparkle and make noises like Tinker Bell? Should I say anything else?


1 comentários:

Mira said...

I must admit I haven't seen many of these films. Especially the worst ones (Little one? I could never be your woman?)

I loved LotR, and at the same time, it didn't meet my expectations. It's my favorite book, after all. When it comes to films, I think I like "Fellowship" the best. Because of all those various locations, and Hobbiton. They did amazing job there.

Yes, "Into the wild" is one of the best movies in the decade.

And I agree with your #1. American Beauty is one of the best films of the decade. Hey, it's one of the best films I've ever seen. Amazing in every single detail.

As for Twilight... You know how I feel about it! ;)